Monday, March 20, 2017

#OER Week! Day 3: English Colonization App Smashing

Day 3 of #OER Week is all about assessment.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think it's part of the DNA of history teachers to veer towards multiple-choice and short-answer tests.  It's how I was tested in middle and high school history and in college, in both undergrad and grad work.  It's also how I assessed student understanding the first few years of teaching.

And now?

I hate multiple-choice and short-answer tests.  

I hate writing them, watching students freak out about them, and grading them.  I also hate that 50% of the time, students can tell me about the topic verbally or through their own creation, but not in written form.  

So, like Hyperdocs (check them out in the post from Day 2), I also heard about app smashing on Twitter.  I go into more detail in today's vlog, but, in a sentence: "App smashing is when students combine the unique functions of apps to create a product demonstrating understanding".  App smashes are fun to make and to take.  They also make it plain concerning student understanding and where it breaks down.



Day 3 Resources

I've just started playing with this concept over the last few months and am looking for ways to improve them for my students.  Does anyone else use app smashes in their classroom?  How can we differentiate the product and provide remediation or extension?  

Thanks,
MS

No comments:

Post a Comment